The Clone Wars may be dead but Star Wars animation produced for television certainly isn't.
Today it was announced that the rumored new series in development will be called Star Wars Rebels and will be set between Episodes III and IV.
Clone Wars Supervising Director and Star Wars Rebels Executive Producer Dave Filoni sat down with Lucasfilm everyman Pablo Hidalgo.
According to the Press Release:
Production has begun on Star Wars Rebels, an exciting, all-new animated television series based on one of the greatest entertainment franchises of all time. Scheduled to premiere in fall 2014 as a one-hour special telecast on Disney Channel, it will be followed by a series on Disney XD channels around the world.
Leading the development of the series is a creative team of exceptional talent. Screenwriter/producer Simon Kinberg (X-Men: First Class, Sherlock Holmes, Mr. & Mrs. Smith) is an executive producer on Star Wars Rebels and will write the premiere episode. He is joined by Dave Filoni as executive producer, who served as supervising director of the Emmy nominated Star Wars: The Clone Wars since 2008. Executive producer Greg Weisman brings with him a wealth of animation experience with credits such as Young Justice, The Spectacular Spider-Man and Gargoyles.
Gary Marsh, president and chief creative officer, Disney Channels Worldwide, said, "The entire team at Lucasfilm has provided extraordinary creativity and innovation for over three decades, and we're thrilled to be bringing the expansive and imaginative world of Star Wars to Disney XD's viewers."
"I couldn't be more excited to explore new corners of the Star Wars universe," said Kathleen Kennedy, president, Lucasfilm. "I think Star Wars Rebels will capture the look, feel and fun that both kids and their parents love about Star Wars."
The action-filled series is set between the events of Episode III and IV -- an era spanning almost two decades never-before explored on-screen. Star Wars Rebels takes place in a time where the Empire is securing its grip on the galaxy and hunting down the last of the Jedi Knights as a fledgling rebellion against the Empire is taking shape. Details about the show are a closely guarded secret at this point.
Star Wars Rebels will be produced by Lucasfilm Animation, featuring many of the key talents that made Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Fans attending Star Wars Celebration Europe will be the first to get an exclusive look at the new series. Casting will be announced at a later date. More information about this developing project will be found on StarWars.com and on Facebook at facebook.com/starwarsrebels.
What We Know:
- The series has 3 Executive Producers: Dave Filoni, Simon Kinberg, and Greg Weisman
- The series will air on Disney XD starting in the Fall 2014 season.
- The series will take place between the events of Episode III and IV.
- The series will premier on Disney Channel in 2014 with a one-hour special episode.
- The series premier will be written by Simon Kinberg, who is also writing a Star Wars spin-off film and is consulting on Star Wars: Episode VII.
- Star Wars Celebration Europe will host the first look at the new series.
- Kilian Plunkett will be aboard as Art Director
- Joel Aron will be abourd as CG Supervisor
- Who will be the main characters of Rebels?
- Will Vader feature prominently as a recurring villain in the show?
- Will we see The Clone Wars characters without resolved cinematic fates appear in the series?
- Will the show maintain a similar CG style to The Clone Wars?
- Will voice actors, writers and episodic directors from The Clone Wars be part of the series?
- Will Rebels cannibalize stories from the in limbo Live Action Series?
- Will Rebels absorb the story from Star Wars 1313?
- Will the show have a supervising director or show runner, or will the triumvirate of executive producers run the show?
Stay tuned to Lightsaber Rattling as we shift our Clone Wars coverage towards Star Wars Rebels.