Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Dave dishes on the future of Star Wars: The Clone Wars


Yesterday Star Wars: The Clone Wars supervising director Dave Filoni took to the internet yesterday to answer some fan questions on his public Facebook page. Below are a summary of the questions with Dave's answers with my two cents thrown in.

1) Ventress and comic continuity

Hey Ian. Ventress’ story is one of the most interesting that we have developed with George. We’ve really gotten into what she is all about, and this season will be no different. There’s much more to her story than people realize, and some awesome new outfits as well. I don’t think we would link up with the comic book storyline though, at least not anytime soon. There is big character development coming for the “hairless harpy.”

My Thoughts:  Sounds like episode 4.19 (Massacre) may just be the reintroduction of Nighsister Asajj which we will see more of in Season 5.  To be perfectly honest watching the TCW movie with Ventress I was rather underwhelmed with the character, but as the series has gone on especially last season I think we saw a great transformation take place for the character played by Nika Futterman.  Getting Ventress out from under the thumb of Dooku was one of the best decisions the creative team behind TCW has made.  She is much more interesting as a wild card then simply as a Sith minion.

2) Ending the series

I always have an endgame in sight. George and I have discussed it, but we just keep writing more stories and finding new and exciting situations for the characters. New stories come along that change the end game, so it’s still evolving. We know we are on a collision course with “Revenge of the Sith,” but there are details surrounding the fate of certain characters that are still in discussion. This is an exciting time for the writing team, because big things are going to happen with significant characters.

My Thoughts: We already know they are well into work on S5 and have at least done some work on S6.  I think it is a near certainty that we get at least seven seasons.  I would say they wrap it up with an eight season that finishes the series during and immediately after Revenge of the Sith.

3)Special Edition treatment for early TCW episodes

It’s funny that you ask that Eric. Not that long ago George and I were joking about how much better we could tell the stories with the way we produce the animation now. Imagine the Malevolence now. It’s tempting, but at the same time, seeing those episodes reminds me of how much we have evolved as a creative team, and I’m very proud of my crew for that. But if George said “Dave, go make your special edition,” I would not say no.

My Thoughts:  This is a funny question and comment but given the production expense and time involved it would be a total waste to do this.

4)  Mandalorians

What you saw in Season 4 with the Death Watch was just a small taste of what is to come. I think the Madalorians are involved in one of the best story arcs next season. A great deal is at stake and big things happen. As far as Spar, the clones and the Mandalorians go, you have to understand that in the film saga, and the TV series, clones don’t really identify with Mandalorians. The vast majority of clones never met Jango Fett, and the series has focused more on the clones having their own culture, rather than adopting a culture that they never really came in contact with. Satine will be returning and I promise you she will have bigger problems than tainted Moogan Tea this time.

My Thoughts: Booo.  It seems that Karen Traviss' Clone Mandoization movement is being expunged from continuity.  As a KT fan this bother me, because I enjoyed that story line and I thought it made a lot of sense.  I am not a total crazy Mando lover though, so I am glad at least we will be seeing the Mandalorians come back next season in a major way.  I have been predicting for a while now that we will see Civil War return to Mandalore with the pacifists losing power.  Will we see the introduction of the "True Mandalorians" in Season 5?

5)  Order 66 on TCW

If we do, it would be from a different perspective than we saw it in the films.

My Thoughts:  Yes, 1000 times yes.

6) Galactic Marines on TCW

I would love to find a place to use Galactic Marines, so we’ll see. Currently they have not shown up as of yet. There are some cool troopers coming though, ones that you have never seen before, but that is a ways off.

My Thoughts: More distinct and interesting Clone Troopers are great, but pretty please Dave I need some Null-ARCs, I'm begging here.

7) A Darth Sidious arc

Darth Sidious is a sensitive subject, and so far it has been a conscious decision to never show him other than as a hologram in the series. However, I would look for the dark lord to take a more active role in the future.

My Thoughts:  Why is Sidious such a "sensitive subject?" I can understand from a storytelling/time point of view in 22 minutes, you don't want to do the establishing shot on both sides of a holocom call like you would in a film in most cases.  But I wonder is it simply to surprise the youngest of viewers that don't realize Palpatine is Sidious?  Is it simply because to this point Palpatine isn't doing much but sitting in his office and moving piece across the Dejarik board?  I would love to see a Sidious/Dooku lightsaber sparring session at some point in the series.  That loss of Ian Abercrombie weighs heavy as Dave plans an even larger role for his character going forward.  I wonder if they will get a current member of the cast to try to voice match Ian instead of going outside for another actor.

8) Cody's absence from Obi-Wan's "Funeral"

In order to keep the nature of Obi Wan’s mission as secret as possible, the Jedi Council assigned Cody to a mission so he could not attend. A fact that did not sit well with the Commander.

My Thoughts:  I think Dave just made up that answer on the spot, and for the record I am fine with that.

9) Will Obi-Wan and Satine be seeing each other, face-to-face once more?

That’s a very thoughtful question Madison, so I will answer you. YES

My Thoughts:  Put on the Barry Whitesun holodisc, turn on the glow lamps and...I'll keep this PG and just leave it at that.

10) Ahsoka's Future

Sarah, thank you for your support, I really appreciate it. Ahsoka is going to face one of her biggest challenges ever next season. I cannot tell you the details, but it will raise her to her greatest heights, and take her to her darkest moment yet, so hang in there and cross your fingers.

My Thoughts:  I just had a very random story idea.  What if Ahsoka is kidnapped by Maul and Savage and they attempt to torture and turn her to the Dark Side?  Ahsoka ends up being the one to finish off Maul.

11) Mother Talzin's motivations

I’m glad you ask about Mother Talzin, she’s actually more important than people guess. You are on the right track. What is she all about? Why is she so interested in Savage and Maul? Patience…in time you will know.

My Thoughts:  Mother Talzin is certainly making the rounds lately, featured in the recent books Darth Plagueis, The Wrath of Darth Maul and the soon to be released Book of the Sith.  She may give the creeps but I really like the character, of course it would be cool to see the Singing Mountain Clan at some point on TCW.

12) Bo-Katan Pronunciation guide

It’s pronounced “Bow”, as in Rainbow, “cat” as in cat, “Anne” as in the girls name. The character is named after my wife’s nickname for her cat – “the Boogie,” and my wife’s name is “Anne.” So, it’s “Boogie-Cat-Anne”, Boogie got shortened to “Bo,” so thus Bo-Katan. It also sounds like Boca Ratan, FL, but the name has nothing to do with that. Lol.

My Thoughts:  A tuckerism by Dave Filoni.  But who can blame him, I would do the same thing.  Of course I appreciate the pronunciation guide as I am sure I pronounce half the EU characters and places wrong.

13) Anakin and Obi-Wan's different lightsaber hilt design


No, we have never really gotten into that, however you will learn much more about lightsabers in the future.

My Thoughts:  As much as a love lightsabers, I am ashamed to admit I had no idea what this question was about.  Geek card revoked.

14) Tons of Questions: Will we see Tuskan Raiders in the Clone Wars? and Is there going to be any in depth look at the ancient Sith or go to any of the Sith worlds? and Will we see Hondo Ohnaka (a family favorite character!) again? Thank you!

Hondo – YES
Tuskan Raiders – YES (but in the future, not soon)
Sith - …hmmm…hmmm… patience. Sith have patience, that’s how they survived. So have patience. You will see. Just have patience.

My Thoughts:  Hondo returning is hardly a surprise, he is one of those recurring supporting characters at this point. Sith or Sith planets? We know we almost had Bane and Revan last season, so this seems more like a matter of if not when.  But Tusken Raiders means we are again returning to Tatooine.  I thought it was a remote planet but it seems to have a particularly strong pull in the Force, because we keep going back there.  My humble request, I want to see General A'Sharad Hett!

15) Will Grievous character model hand design change from TCW four to RotS six finger design?

Bryce, that’s a great idea. We have never updated Grievous since we did the original model but that’s overdue. Let me talk to Kilian and see what he says, but I think that’s a really good idea. The show has evolved, and maybe that should too.

My Thoughts:  Apparently some people are much more sticklers for detail then I am.

SOURCE: Dave Filoni's Facebook Fan Page

1 comment:

  1. Malevolence special edition!? Heck yeah! I loved that arc. Order 66 sounds like it's gonna get interesting. Now number 14.... AWESOME!!! I really like the different views.

    ReplyDelete